About Craig Mercer
I’m a native of Victoria, B.C. Canada. I am blessed to have gained experience over the past 15 years in both the public and private sectors in Canada, the US and Japan.
Back in 1997 I started out in web design (thanks to Drew Westergaard and New Community). In 2000 I expanded my horizons into information technology (thanks to Adel Braga and Microserve). Then in 2003 I found myself drawn into project management (thanks to Nick Braam and Vigil Health Solutions) and later in 2008 into strategy, portfolio management, program management and process improvement (thanks to David Mann, Jessica Arril and Island Health).
Troubleshooting and problem solving come easy to me because I love to find ways to help people, process and systems work better!
I am currently working to support the project management discipline at Island Health. This includes creating a methodology for portfolio/project management, standardizing operating procedures, tools, templates, training, coaching and quality control specific to Island Health’s culture. The project management methodology I have developed and continue to improve is built on PMBOK (5th Edition) and driven by Benefits Realization Management (why we do this) and Change Management (how we help the people do this).
About Order Out of Chaos
The purpose of this site is to:
- Allow me to speak candidly about my thoughts primarily on project/program/portfolio management, secondarily on benefits realization management, change management and process improvement.
- Explore how the above disciplines can be layered together and their effectiveness multiplied through systems thinking.
- Allow me to explore the nature of variation (aka waste) and what we might do about it on the macro (e.g.: project management) and micro (e.g.: process improvement) levels.
- Allow me to share tools and templates that I have either used in real life or want too but have not had the chance yet (perhaps even becoming a resource for new and veteran project managers alike?).
- Share my experiences with using Microsoft SharePoint for project delivery.
Key Skills and Knowledge Areas
- Project, Program & Portfolio Management
- Mentoring, Coaching, Training & Team Building
- Unified Process Methodology (Strategy, Project Management, Change Management & Process Improvement)
- Implementation Management
- Microsoft SharePoint for Project Management
ITIL® Foundation Examination
PEOPLECERT Group License GR750022034CM
VIHA Lean Practitioner
Westmark Consulting LLP
Security Certified Network Professional
SCP License SCNP.001.1148
Linux+ Certified Professional
CompTIA License 205679580
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
MICROSOFT License A809-9462
Microsoft Certified Professional
MICROSOFT License A809-9456
A+ Certified Professional
CompTIA License ge6dtt0ad1/ge2dtt0842