Oct 23 2012
Craig’s recipe for Westcoast Chili
Serves 8 / Prep 30 minutes / Cooking 90 Minutes
.675kg [1.5 lbs] Ground Beef or Steak (cut into bite size chunks)
1 medium to large onion
3 cloves fresh garlic
1 420gm can of tomatoes (plumb)
1 420gm can of tomato sauce
2 420gm cans of red kidney beans
1 420gm can of pinto (chili) beans
1 420gm can of corn
1 230gm (8 oz) of water chestnuts (in Japan I substitute chopped renkon)
2 potatoes (sliced into bite size chunks)
2 to 3 carrots (sliced diagonally)
1 yellow pepper (sliced into bite size chunks)
1 orange pepper (sliced into bite size chunks)
1 red pepper (sliced into bite size chunks)
1 beef bouillon packet
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp rosemary rosemary
1 tbsp brown sugar
355ml (1.5 cups) cups of boiling water
125ml (½ cup) red wine
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
chili powder (3 tbsp)
hot sauce (to taste)
- Brown beef in frying pan, remove from heat and drain off fat except for 1 tbsp.
- Chop onion and garlic and sauté them in a large cooking pot.
- Dissolve beef bouillon into hot water (I use a pyrex measuring cup) and then add to pot.
- Add in one tablespoon of chili powder along with the oregano, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, along with hot sauce and pepper to taste.
- Add beef to pot and simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Next add in the tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring to a slow boil.
- Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, red wine along with the kidney & pinto beans, peppers, carrots, potatoes, water chestnuts (renkon) and corn.
- Mix in another tablespoon of chili powder and some more hot sauce to taste and simmer for 30 minutes
- Add in chili power and hot sauce to taste and simmer for a final 30 minutes.
- Fresh green salad
- French bread warmed and topped with real butter!